- 416-264-1222 Hours: Sun. - Fri. Zuhr - Maghrib
Islamic Premarital Counselling
Marriage Preparation grounded in Islamic Values
“Also among His Ayaat is that He has created spouses for you from yourselves so that you may find solace with her, and He has placed love and mercy between you. There are certainly Ayaat in this for people who contemplate.” [Al-Rum, v. 21]
It has been narrated from Abdullah ibn Abbas (Allah is pleased with him) that: The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “There is nothing like marriage, for two who love one another.” [Sunan Ibn Majah, hadith 1847]
Marriage (nikah) is a religious institution of love and mercy that has been simplified by Allah ﷻ and His Beloved Messenger ﷺ. Yet, today many single Muslim brothers and sisters are apprehensive about marriage.
Islamic Premarital Counselling (Premarital Counselling based on Qur’an, Sunnah and Fiqh) can play a positive role in simplifying the marriage, transforming it into something desirable and, more importantly, finding answers and solutions to a wide range of marital issues.
Islamic premarital counselling is about laying the foundation of a strong, healthy marriage combined with Islamic spirituality.
According to a study by The Family and Youth Institute, 80% of divorced American Muslim couples did not participate in any formal premarital education. Islamic premarital counselling is a preventative measure that reduces the chances of divorce.
In Masjid Bilal, we strive to create an open, safe, confidential, respectful and non-judgmental environment where couples can engage in fruitful discussions and exercises that will better equip them for their next chapter in life. Islamic premarital counselling is not about listening to a long lecture on marriage and the do’s and don’ts, but it is more about empowering the couple with the practical tools needed to navigate the highs and lows that come with every relationship.
In Masjid Bilal’s Islamic counselling process, we also actively listen to each couple (individually and collectively) and identify their unique needs to customize the session content so their concerns are addressed in the frame of the Qur’an and Sunnah.
The topics of discussion throughout these sessions may include any of the following but are not limited to (listed in random order):
- Purpose of Marriage
- The Foundations of a Blissful Marriage: Piety, Love & Barakah (blessings)
- The Islamic Spirituality behind marriage
- Anger management
- Reconnecting after an Argument
- Rituals of Connection
- Balancing relationships between spouse, parents, in-laws and extended family
- Rights & Obligations of the spouses
- Family life of the Beloved Prophet ﷺ
- Communication & Connection
- Work-life balance
- Roles & Expectations
- Family time
- Identify differences to either resolve them or learn to manage them.
- Conflict Management
- Short- and Long-term goals
- Basic Fiqh of divorce – What words and statements to avoid so talaq does not unintentionally come into effect.
- Predictors of divorce
- Ploys of Shaytan to destabilize a marriage
- Common causes of divorce e.g. domestic violence, infidelity, in-laws, various forms of abuse (financial, emotional, spiritual, etc.) and practical steps of how to avoid it
- Specific post-nikah prayers.
Commitment to attend three sessions for one hour each is expected. This may vary depending on each couple’s unique circumstances.
To book an appointment, please email Mawlana Mushtaq Shaikh at: email@example.com