- 416-264-1222 Hours: Sun. - Fri. Zuhr - Maghrib
Evening Qur’an Classes for Children
Please read carefully, if you have any comments or questions, please speak with the Imam. Registration link is at the bottom of the page.
For any questions, please contact Mawlana Mushtaq Shaikh at 416-264-1222.
- Class time: 5:00pm – 7:00pm Monday to Friday, Sept. – July, for children age 6 – 15.
- All students are expected to be punctual for class with timely arrivals at 5:00 and minimum absences.
- Parents/guardians and students should not forget that arriving late and being absent will delay the progress of any child. Punctuality is essential for all children. A student must bring a note if he/she wants to leave before 7:00.
- Tarbiyyah is just as important as Taleem. Islamic clothing plays a great role in encouraging our children to preserve their Islamic identity. Students are expected to dress Islamically.
- BOYS: Long Islamic dress up to knees or ankles and Islamic cap.
- GIRLS: Hijab and Long Islamic dress, Abaya coming down to below the ankles. Clothing must cover hair, neck and chest.
- All clothing must be loose-fitting and modest for boys and girls. Dress must not be see-through. Shorts, short sleeves, designer clothing with heavy logos, clothing with pictures of animate objects, tight clothes and other non-Islamic clothing will not be allowed.
- Each student must purchase their own Holy Qur’an and other books for study. If they do not have the books, they can be purchased from the Masjid. The Qur’an and books cannot be borrowed from the Masjid or other students. Therefore, every student must have their own Qur’an and the necessary books.
- Possession of valuable items such as jewellery, expensive watches, electronic games, playing cards, toys, cell phones, and any dangerous items such as laser pointers, knives, etc. are not allowed in the Masjid. If such items are found in the possession of a student, the teacher may confiscate it.
- Eating, drinking, chewing gum, etc. is prohibited during class.
- No graffiti on the walls or tables. Any damage to Masjid property by a student will be paid in full by the parents with a minimum charge of $100.00.
- Students shall show utmost respect towards all teachers and fellow students.
- To maintain a respectable learning environment and to ensure the overall well-being and safety of all students and staff, it may be necessary to adopt disciplinary action for students who do not show acceptable behaviour. We desire to create an atmosphere that is based on mutual trust and respect between management, staff, parents/guardians and students. All disciplinary actions will be within the Islamic law. Our disciplinary procedures, depending on the nature of the act, after explaining and encouraging the student through words of advice, are as follows:
- Verbal warning
- Stoppage in giving lessons (sabak)
- Separation from the class or being sent home
- Detention (for older students)
- Letter of warning and/or phone call to parents.
- Teacher-Student-Parents/guardian meeting
- Management-Teacher-Student-Parents/guardian meeting
- Suspension for some time
- Expulsion from Class
- Monthly fees will be paid in the first week of every Month. Advance payments are welcome to ease administration, e.g. for 6 months or the entire year.
- 1 child $30
- 2 children from the same family $50
- 3 children from the same family $70
- 4 children or more from the same family $90
- Please note that all teachers will be educating the students according to instructions assigned to them and not the personal choice or preference of the parents/guardians. In this regard, the parents/guardian shall not influence the staff.
- Throughout the year, depending on the circumstances, students will be tested to see their progress.
- If you have any concerns, comments or questions regarding Bilal Qur’an Class, please feel free to speak with the Imam or management. We value your feedback and we appreciate your cooperation. Jazak’Allah
Bilal Qur’an Class Syllabus
Our primary goal is Taleem [Islamic Education] and Tarbiyyah [Islamic Training] for our children.
TALEEM [Islamic Education]
In Masjid Bilal, by the Grace of Allah, we have established a syllabus through which the students can learn how to recite the Qur’an with Tajweed. Finishing the Qur’an (Khatme-Qur’an) without Tajweed is a sinful act. We also need to teach our children the basic and fundamental knowledge of Islam. Below you will see the subjects that we will be teaching to our students, depending on their age and ability to understand.
- Recitation of Qur’an, beginning from Qaida (Arabic alphabet) then Amma (30th juz) and then Qur’an.
- Tajweed – correct pronunciation of the Arabic letters.
- Aqeedah – Islamic beliefs
- Taleemul-Haq [Basic Fiqh – taharah, wudu, salaat, etc.]
- Memorization of Surah from 30th juz, Surah An-Naas to Surah Ad-Duhaa & 99 Names of Allah
- Memorization of Dua from the book – Duas in the Life of a Muslim
- Seerutun-Nabi – Biography of Prophet Muhammed [Sallalaahu-Alaihi-wa-Sallam]
- Islamic Adaab/Etiquettes
Please remember that the teacher will be educating the students according to instructions assigned to them and not the personal choice or preference of the parents/guardians. In this regard the parents/guardian shall not have any influence on the staff.
TARBIYYAH [Islamic Training]
For Tarbiyyah, once a week (preferably Friday) a Tarbiyyah Assembly will be held for the students. The purpose of this assembly is to discuss specific topics with the students that are not normally covered during the daily class time. Examples of these topics are Ramadan, Muharram, Eidain, Miraaj, stories of the Prophets (Alaihimus-Salaam), Sahaabah (Radhiya-Allahu-Anhum) and pious people of the past, Aadaab – manners, sunnats, etc. For this assembly it is possible that groups may be made according to the children’s age, so that the appropriate topic can be discussed. After the assembly a handout may also be distributed to the students to take home which will also be beneficial for the parents and other family members.
Through the experience of the Ulama (local and foreign) we have come to the conclusion that if a child is admitted into the Maktab System at the age of 6 and remains till the age of 15 and throughout this period the child was punctual for class (2 hours a day, 5 days a week, Sept. – July) and learned his/her lessons, this child will not only learn how to recite the Qur’an with Tajweed but he/she will also be equipped with the basic Islamic knowledge that is essential for every Muslim.
Staff and management of Masjid Bilal Muslim Association, parents/guardian and students all are responsible for carrying out their respected duties as being a teacher or member of management or parent or student.
Our common goal is to train our children, educate them about our great religion and demonstrate that character and way of life, which will lead them towards respect and success in this life and the life hereafter.
If we meet our goal, then by the Grace of Allah, our children will be a means of Sadaqah Jaariyah (everlasting reward) for us, and they will grow up to be ideal Muslims and role models for all of humanity.
We highly appreciate your cooperation. May Allah reward you. Jazak’Allah.